finely shredded lemon peel
1 1/2 cups
sifted powdered sugar
- In medium mixing bowl beat butter with electric mixer on medium to high for 30 seconds.
- Add granulated sugar, poppy seeds, and baking soda and beat until combined.
- Beat in egg yolk, milk, lemon peel, and vanilla until combined.
- Beat in as much of flour as you can with electric mixer, then using wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour.
- Divide dough in half.
- Shape each half into 9 inch long roll.
- Wrap both "logs" in plastic wrap.
- Chill in refrigerator for 4 or more hours (up to 24).
- Using a sharp knife (or string/dental floss) cut dough into 1/2 inch slices.
- Place slices 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 375°F for 7-9 minutes or until edges are firm and bottom is light brown.
- Place powdered sugar in plastic bag. While still warm transfer several cookies at a time to bag and shake gently until coated. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely. When completely cool, shake cookies in powdered sugar one more time.