1 small green peppers or 1 small
other bell pepper
1 cup baby portabella mushrooms or 1 cup
button mushroom, sliced
sweet onion, thinly sliced
1 -2 small
8 ounces leftover london broil beef or 8 ounces
other steak, sliced across the grain and then cut into bite size pieces
deli provolone cheese
deli American cheese
monterey jack pepper cheese
olive oil or
2 crusty rolls or 2 Italian bread or 2
of your favorite barbecue sauce
Any or all of the following
mayonnaise or mustard or ketchup or lettuce or tomatoes or pickles or olives or raw onions or
- Heat small amount of oil to medium heat in skillet and add veggies in following order: peppers, mushrooms, onions and garlic. All veggies should be cooked but not mushy or too browned. Remove and set aside.
- Add meat and cook until warmed and slightly browned. Cook till just slightly short of desired doneness.
- Meanwhile toast rolls if desired and assemble with condiments and fixings.
- Stir in sauteed vegetable mixture, BBQ sauce and hot sauce. (The sauces should be added in small amounts; the idea is just to enhance the flavor. Of course, you can do whatever you want!).
- Gather skillet contents into shape of bread and layer cheeses on top. Cover briefly until melted.
- Transfer to rolls and serve immediately.
- Lower carb version: omit rolls or use low-carb wraps.
- Lower fat version: use cooking spray instead of oil, make sure excess fat is trimmed from meat, and use low or non-fat cheese.