cornmeal, I use yellow
2 1/4 cups
2 1/2 teaspoons
1 tablespoon canola oil or 1 tablespoon
olive oil, for the skillet
- Set your oven to 425°F and then add the tbsp of oil to your skillet. Place the skillet in the oven while it comes to temperature.
- In the meantime, mix the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl beat the eggs and then add the milk and the melted butter.
- Add this into the dry ingredients and mix until blended, if needed you could add a touch more milk, but batter should be thick.
- Go back to your stove wearing your oven mitts and take out the skillet, careful its HOT, then swirl it around a little to coat the bottom of the entire pan with the oil. Place on top of your stove and quickly pour your mixture into the skillet, you will hear it sizzle a little. Place back into your oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until cornbread is nicely browned on top. You can do the cake test if you want with a toothpick also. Serve right away with butter and honey, or jam. FYI - I use a 12 inch skillet for this recipe.