elderberry, stripped from the stalk
apples, cored, peeled and sliced
lemon, juice and zest of
- Wash all your fruit, especially berries picked from the garden or hedgerow.
- Carefully, using a fork,strip the Elderberries from the stalk into a bowl to prevent them from going everywhere.
- Zest and juice the lemon.
- Core and peel and slice the apples.
- Put the berries, zest ands juice in a good pan and crush them together to break the berries.
- Stir in the sugar and fling in the sliced apples.
- Bring slowly to the boil and continue at boiling as slowly as possible stirring fom time to time.
- Skim the froth off as the jam boils until you reach setting point and then take from the heat.
- Boil some water and sterilise your jars with it and mind your fingers.
- Carefully pour or ladle your jam into the jars seal, label and then have a nice cup of tea with some of your jam on toast or scones as is to your liking.