1 1/2 cups
firmly packed brown sugar
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar and salt.
- Add 1/2 cup cold butter and cut into dry ingredients until it resembles coarse meal.
- Add egg yolk and 2 tablespoons water, stir until mixture forms a ball.
- Form dough into flat disk, wrap in plastic wrap and chill about 1 hour.
- Peel and core apples, cutting each into 8 wedges.
- In a pan over medium heat add remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Add apples.
- Cook apples over heat until edges slightly brown, then add brown sugar and nutmeg. Cook another 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Roll dough into circle on lightly floured surface.
- Carefully transfer dough to parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Pour apple mixture into center of pastry mounding apples in center.
- Gently fold edges of dough over apples, pleating as you go, leaving an opening about 4 inches wide in the center. Brush pastry with beaten egg.
- Bake in 375 degree oven about 40-45 minutes (until pastry is brown and apples are tender when pricked).