2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons
3 1/2 lbs
chicken, cut in quarters
white onion, trimmed
carrots, peeled and cut into 1 1/2- inch pieces
garlic cloves, minced
dry white wine
parsley, finely chopped
dried thyme leaves, crushed
1 (8 ounce) packages
frozen sugar snap peas
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add chicken pieces skin side down and brown well. Using tongs, turn chicken pieces to brown on all sides. Transfer chicken pieces to a large baking dish. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- To drippings that remain in skillet, add onions,.carrots and garlic. Saute over medium-high heat until onions and carrots are lightly browned.
- Add brandy to skillet. Holding skillet with a pot holder, carefully but quickly ignite the brandy. Shake skillet gently until the flames subside. Add wine, parsley, bay leaf, salt, pepper, thyme and ground cloves.
- Increase heat to high and bring the carrot mixture to boiling, stirring frequently. Remove skillet from heat. Using a large spoon, transfer the carrot mixture to the chicken in the baking dish. Cover baking dish with lid or aluminum foil. Place on center rack of oven and bake 30 minutes. Uncover dish and distribute sugar snap peas evenly over the chicken and carrot mixture.
- Cover baking dish and bake 30 minutes longer or until juices run clear when chicken is pierced with a fork and vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaf. Transfer to a decorative serving platter.
- RED WINE VARIATION: To make a more classic version of this chicken dish,.
- substitute a hearty red wine, such as Burgundy, Beaujolais or Chianti,.
- for the white wine. Add 1/21b tiny white mushrooms to the skillet when.
- the carrots are added and stir 1/2 tablespoon tomato paste into the.
- carrot mixture just before the chicken goes into the oven.