1 3/4 cups fat free chicken broth or 1 3/4 cups
carrot, sliced into thin coins
low-fat sour cream
chopped fresh dill
- Over moderate heat, begin to saute the shallots with oil in a large sauce pan or stockpot. Cook for 5 minutes or so until the shallots are tender and have begun to brown. If the shallots begin to dry, add a tablespoon or so of water.
- Add the barley to the pot and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Pour broth and 3 cups of water into the pot. Cover with lid and cook 10-15 minutes until the barley is tender. (Check the package instructions for suggested cooking time.).
- If you are adding the carrots, cook in a separate saucepan in water for 5 minutes until tender but firm.
- Pour barley and broth into a colander sitting in a larger bowl to collect liquid. Take half the barley and shallots, all of the liquid and 2 tablespoons of sour cream and place in a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Transfer the contents of the blender back to the pot. Add whole/unblended barley and shallots (and carrots if using) to the creamed mixture and stir until well mixed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide soup among serving bowls. Thin remaining tablespoon sour cream with remaining tablespoon water and drizzle over soup. Sprinkle with dill.