2 -2 1/4 cups
whole wheat flour
( read NOTE*)
pumpkin puree, canned
light brown sugar, to taste
freshly grated nutmeg
apple, peeled, seeded and grated
2 tablespoons dried dates (optional) or 2 tablespoons
dried apricots, minced small
- * NOTE: Can substitute half the amount of unbleached white pastry flour for the whole wheat pastry flour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly oil an aluminum baking sheet or line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To make the dough, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the oil and water. With your hands, work the mixture to form a soft dough, adding more dough if necessary so that it loses its stickiness.
- Cover dough, set aside and let rest.
- Meanwhile, combine the filling ingredients and mix well.
- Now on a floured surface roll out the prepared dough to 1/16" thickness. Use a 3" round cookie cutter to cut out the dough. (You could also use a tortilla press to form the turnovers.)
- Place one heaping teaspoon of the pumpkin filling on one side of each circle, fold over, slightly dampen edges with water, and pinch edges shut. I use my dim sum maker to seal the turnovers.
- Arrange the turnovers singly on the prepared baking sheet, brush lightly with egg wash and bake about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on rack.
- The uncooked, filled turnovers can be frozen.