whole wheat flour, sifted
buttermilk, if needed
- Using a wooden or strong spoon mix all dry ingredients together and add 1/4 c buttermilk, adding up to 2T more if needed to make a soft dough.
- Shape dough into a round and place on a lightly floured baking sheet.
- Cut an X into the top with a very sharp knife.
- Spray a piece of foil large enough to cover bread with cooking spray or oil and place over bread.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 425 degrees, remove foil and return to oven until top is browned, about 10 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.