firm Japanese pumpkin
virgin olive oil
white onion, diced
garlic, minced or pressed
dry white wine
6 -7 cups
vegetable stock, well heated
grated parmesan cheese
Italian parsley, finely chopped
fresh thyme, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Carefully cut the kabocha in half and remove the seeds with a spoon.
- Season each half with salt and pepper before placing in the oven.
- Roast for 30-45 minutes on a baking sheet.
- When cooled, scoop out flesh and reserve.
- Cook the risotto: In a medium sized, heavy sauce pan, heat 3 T of olive oil.
- Saute the onion to soften (2-3 minutes).
- Add the Arborio rice and coat well with the oil while stirring.
- Over medium-high heat, add the white wine and begin to add the 6-7 cups of stock, a cup at a time, adding more as the rice absorbs it.
- Cook, stirring constantly, for 15-20 minutes or until the risotto is"al dente.
- "When ready to serve, finish by adding the Kabocha, butter, parsley and parmesan.
- The risotto should be smooth and shiny.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: In order to obtain best results, the stock added to risotto should always be hot before it is added.