1 -2 large
garlic clove, minced
2 1/2-3 cups
chopped bell peppers
( use a variety of colors)
1 1/2 cups
cheddar cheese, grated
( for frying)
canned tomatoes, undrained
green pepper, coarsely chopped
onion, coarsely chopped
2 -3 tablespoons
- In a large skillet, saute the onions, garlic, chiles, and cumin in the oil for 5-7 minutes, until onions are soft.
- Add the chopped peppers, cover, and cook on low heat for about 10 minutes, until peppers are tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in all the cheeses.
- Add salt to taste and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Soften tortillas by frying individually in a little oil for just a few seconds on each side. Drain well on paper towels.
- Place a tortilla on a flat surface.
- Spoon 1/4 - 1/2 cup of cheese and pepper filling onto the half of the tortilla closest to you. Roll and place, seam side down,in a greased baking pan.
- Bake tightly covered for 20-25 minutes.
- When the enchiladas are baking, prepare the hot sauce.
- Puree the tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, chiles, coriander and cumin in a blender until smooth.
- Simmer, uncovered, on how heat for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt to taste. (If you use fresh tomatoes, you may need to simmer for even longer.).
- Serve the enchiladas on a bed of rice and top with the hot sauce.