( or cooking oil)
( quick or old fashioned)
2 1/2 cups
whole wheat flour
- Combine the first 5 ingredients with an electric mixer.
- Add the oats and as much of the flour as you can until the dough is too hard to mix.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead in the remaining flour.
- Dough should be stiff, but not crumbly.
- Roll out dough about 1/2-inch thick and cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters, or for a quicker version just cut 1/2-inch wide strips with a pizza cutter or knife, and then cut strips to 2-inch lengths.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheets and bake at 325°F for 20 minutes.
- Turn biscuits over and bake another 20 minutes.
- Turn off oven and open door so it's ajar to let out excess heat for a few minutes and then close door and leave biscuits in oven until all the heat is gone.
- If there is still moisture in the biscuits, let them air-dry until they are completely hard and crisp before storing.