dry white wine
shallots, finely chopped
garlic cloves, finely chopped
mixed fresh herbs
( such as flat-leaf parsley,chervil,or basil,chopped)
butter, cut into pieces
- Rinse and scrub mussels under cold water.
- Using your fingers or paring knife, remove beards (strings that hang from the mussel shells), and discard.
- In a large stockpot set over medium heat, combine wine, shallots, garlic, and salt.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Add mussels, cover, and increase heat to high.
- Cook until all mussels are open, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in herbs and butter.
- Remove from heat.
- Divide mussels and broth among four bowls.
- Serve immediately.