1 1/2 cups
1 -1 1/2 teaspoon
( I prefer the lesser amount)
butter, melted and cooled
1 3/4 lbs
( use a good-quality one of your choosing)
- Preaheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Break up any clumps of sugar with your finger tips and work the ingredients to mix them.
- Add melted butter and egg and work with fingers (I used one hand so I wouldn't get both gunky) to combine well.
- Press half of dough in a foil-lined 15 X 10 inch pan, working well into edges and pressing down to compact.
- Spread out jam of your choosing to within 1/2 inch of edges of pan - do not be tempted to use more jam than called for, the bars will be too sweet.
- Take handfuls of remaining dough mixture and crumble it over pan, distributing evenly. Press down with palms of hand to compact - but not too hard.
- Bake until golden-brown. 50 minutes in my oven (and to my taste).
- Cool completely before cutting. Cut lengthwise into 4 even rows and crosswise into 6.