2 1/2 lbs
( rub between fingers to release flavor)
1 -2 tablespoon
fresh minced garlic
( optional or to taste)
( I use 1-3/4 cups half and half and 1/4 cup whipping cream, unwhipped)
1 1/2-2 cups
( or similar cheese like Swiss or Gouda, but it is better using the gruyere cheese)
( can use regular salt)
gruyere cheese, shredded
( can use Gouda also)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a baking dish large enough to hold the mixture (about an 8-cup).
- To make the topping: stir together the bread crumbs and melted butter, add in the cheese, mix well until combined; set aside.
- Wash and trim the sprouts and cut an "X" in the bottom.
- Cook the sprouts in boiling water for about 7-8 minutes, or until fairly tender.
- Drain and plunge into ice water or very cold water (squeeze out any excess water with hands).
- Place into prepared baking dish.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add in the thyme, fresh garlic (if using) and chopped onion; saute for 3-5 minutes until soft.
- Add/whisk in flour, cook whisking for 5 minutes.
- Add in half and half cream, seasoning salt and pepper; bring to a very light boil, and whisk continuously for about 6-7 minutes until mixture is smooth and thick.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add in the gruyere cheese; stir until melted.
- Pour the creamed mixture over the sprouts in the dish.
- Sprinkle with the topping mixture.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly.