5 teaspoons powdered agar-agar or 5 tablespoons
1 1/2 cups
3 -4 tablespoons
lemon juice, depending on how sharp you want it
- Begin by combining the agar and tap water in a small sauce pan.
- Heat over a medium flame, stirring often.
- When the mixture boils, reduce the heat a bit.
- Allow the agar to boil gently for 5 minutes.
- Stir often to prevent burning and to make sure that all of the agar dissolves.
- Meanwhile, measure all of the other ingredients into a blender container.
- When the agar is finished boiling, carefully pour it into the blender container.
- Place the lid on the blender and whizz it on high for about a minute.
- Stop, scrape down the sides, replace the lid and whizz again, for about another minute.
- The mixture should be very smooth and the same orange color as dairy cheddar.
- Pour the mixture into a small, lightly oiled loaf pan.
- The pan I use is about 3 by 7 inches.
- Place the pan in the refrigerator and allow it to chill until firm.