( P.A.N. Harina de Maiz)
- In a mixing bowl, add cornmeal, salt, pepper, baking powder. Mix well.
- Add the cheese (eg: jack, mozzarella, cheddar, or combination)and combine well.
- With a fork, stir in boiling water.
- Add eggs.
- Mix with a fork until dough leaves the side of the bowl.
- Knead dough with your hands only enough to form a ball.
- About 3/4 cup of dough makes one arepa.
- Flatten balls and fry in a lightly greased pan until golden.
- Or cook in arepa cooker until arepas sound hollow when tapped.
- Let cool slightly and serve.
- TO EAT: Split like an Eng. muffin and with a spoon, scoop-out the fluffy cornmeal insides then fill the shells with anything you like. The scooped-out cornmeal can be eaten with a fork or discarded. Or don't scoop them out it's your preference.