rump steak, the size of a loaf
( ~2 inches thick)
1 loaf white sandwich loaf or 1 loaf
whole wheat sandwich loaf
portabella mushrooms, big
black pepper, freshly ground
- Cut the end off the loaf and remove as much of the center so that you can fit in the steak and the mushrooms. Save the crumb, in case.
- Season the steak with your favourite spices - I like mine spicy - but don't use salt (it'll draw all the liquid out of the steak).
- Sear the steak on a hot pan, leave the meat rare, otherwise you end up with a shoe sole. After you take it out of the pan, season with salt quite liberally.
- Fry the mushrooms in the same pan so that it'll soak up the juices.
- Stuff the loaf with the steak and the mushrooms, steak in the middle and mushrooms on the sides, if there's empty space left soak the left out crumbs briefly in the juices on the pan and stuff them in too.
- Replace the removed crust end of the loaf.
- Wrap the whole thing in a double sheet of foil paper and secure with string. Then secure again with parchment paper (or film) and more string. Place under a weighted board for 6 hours.
- When eating this sandwich just cut off a slice as required.