sliced fresh mushrooms
( 1/2 cup)
garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon
2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth or 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth or 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans
small shell pasta
1 (16 ounce) cans
tomatoes, cut up
1 (15 ounce) cans
garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
snipped fresh basil
snipped fresh thyme
fresh basil sprig
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven cook the mushrooms, onion, and garlic in hot margarine or butter till tender but not brown.
- Add vegetable, chicken, or beef broth- Bring to a boil.
- Stir in the pasta- Return to a boil.
- Cook for 10 to 12 minutes or till pasta is al dente (tender but still firm).
- Stir in undrained tomatoes and garbanzo beans- Heat through.
- Just before serving, stir in fresh basil and thyme.
- To serve, ladle soup into individual bowls and, if desired, garnish with fresh basil.