boneless beef rump roast
garlic cloves, peeled, cut in thirds
celery, corasely chopped
onion, coarsely chopped
carrots, peeled, halved
green bell pepper
fresh ground black pepper
potatoes, peeled, quartered
hot pepper sauce
- preheat the oven to 325*.
- make 9 deep incisions in the meat and insert the garlic pieces.
- Heat 1 tbls of oil in a heavy roasting pan; add the meat and brown on all sides over medium heat.
- transfer the meat to a plate.
- add the remaining tbls of oil to the pan, add the celery, onion, carrots and saute for about 5 minutes.
- add the stock, bay leaves green pepper and ketchup.
- return the meat to the pan, cover and bring to a boil.
- transfer to the oven and bake for 2 hours.
- move the meat aside and stir in the thyme, salt and pepper.
- at this point, the move can be store in the refrigerator until the next day.
- place the potatoes on the bottom of the pan and arrange the meat on top.
- re-cover, and bake 45 minutes or until the meat and potatoes are tender.
- in a small bowl, mash the butter and flour together to form a smooth paste is formed.
- transfer the meat to a large heated platter and using a slotted spoon, remove the carrots and potatoes and arrange them around the meat.
- discard the bell pepper, bay leaves and celery.
- bring the pan juices to a boil over high heat.
- then whisk in the butter mixture by tblsspoonfuls.
- cook over high heat until the mixture forms a gravy, then reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
- add hot pepper sauce to taste.].
- pour some of the gravy over the meat and pass the remainder with the meat and vegetables at the table.