2 cooking apples or 3
granny smith apples, peeled and sliced
2 teaspoons olive oil or 2 teaspoons
oregano or basil or marjoram or parsley or ginger or nutmeg or
clove, to taste
lemon juice (optional) or lime juice (optional) or
vinegar, to taste
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
paprika, to taste
table salt, to taste
garlic granules, to taste
- Wash the potatoes and peel if preferred. Mum did, I don't. I think they're much nicer unpeeled. All the vitamin C is in the peel.
- Cube potatoes and boil until soft - about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place apples and a little water into a microwaveable bowl and microwave for a couple of minutes until soft. Alternatively boil apples and a little water in a saucepan.
- When potatoes are cooked, drain, return to saucepan and add butter or oil.
- Mash potatoes, removing all lumps.
- Mash softened apples slightly with a fork and stir into mashed potato.
- Add chosen herb or herbs. My personal favourite is sprinkles of oregano and basil plus a pinch of garlic powder or onion seeds. Was unable to add Chinese 5-Spice when entering ingredients for some reason, but that can be nice too sometimes, especially with fish.
- Return pan of mashed potatoes to stove and heat gently for a couple of minutes to warm them back up again and serve.
- Sometimes a little milk can be good in with this when re-heating after the mashing. Once more it kind of depends what you're serving it with.