mild Italian sausage
( approx. 4-5 links)
1 lb mostaccioli pasta (penne) or 1 lb
1 (16 ounce) jars
of prepared spaghetti sauce
( see Cook's note)
1 (14 1/2 ounce) cans
Italian-style diced tomatoes
2 (6 ounce) jars
marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
shredded mozzarella cheese
shredded parmesan cheese
( to taste)
ground black pepper
( to taste)
egg, slightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in skillet.
- Brown sausage links. (No need to remove casing.).
- While sausage is browning, cook pasta for 10 minutes or until al dente.
- Once browned, slice sausage links into 1/4" slices. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, combine cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, 1 cup Mozarella cheese, egg, salt, pepper and parsley. Mix well. Refrigerate but keep handy.
- Butter/grease 9"x13" baking dish.
- Spread 1/2 jar of spaghetti sauce in bottom of baking dish.
- Add 1/2 can tomatoes on top of sauce and spread evenly.
- Drain and chop artichoke hearts. Set aside.
- Combine sausage, cheese mixture and chopped artichoke hearts in a large mixing bowl. Add cooked pasta. Note: Best if done while pasta is hot.).
- Fold mixture into baking dish and spread evenly over sauce/tomato mixture.
- Empty remaining tomatoes into dish and spread evenly over pasta mixture.
- Drizzle remaining spaghetti sauce over pasta mixture.
- Top with 1 cup Mozarella cheese.
- Cook uncovered for one hour or until heated through.
- Cook's Note: If you want a moister casserole, increase spaghetti sauce to 1 1/2 jars (spread one full jar on bottom of baking dish and drizzle 1/2 jar).