corn, save husks
3/4 cup sugar (I use Splenda) or 3/4 cup
Splenda sugar substitute
( I use Splenda)
12 -16 ounces cheddar cheese or 12 -16 ounces
cheese, of choice cut into 1-ounce pieces
1 (24 ounce) cans
whole green chilies, cut into strips
aluminum foil, for wraping
( 12 to 16 pieces 12x12)
- Cut both ends of the corn, remove husks and save for wraping,(Put husk in water), cut corn kernels off the cob, use a spoon and scrap corn cobs.
- Place corn kernels in food processor, grind, Add cornmeal and grind together, set aside.
- Beat shortening and butter with electric mixer until creamy, add sugar, half and half and salt; ADD corn mixture and mix well.
- FOR each TAMALE, overlap two or more corn husk and spread some of the corn mixture onto the husk.
- Place one cheese strip and chile strips(I used about 1/2 of a whole chile in each tamale without seeds, seeds makes then HOTER your choice).
- Top with MORE corn mixture; Bring edges of husk over OR add another husk on top, to cover filling complety, Bring bottom of husk over tamale.
- Wrap in foil,lay tamale on foil, bring one side over, bring up the bottom, then bring other side over leaving top open.
- Place tamales upright in a steamer or large kettle with steamer basket in bottom.
- Steam for 45 to 50 minutes, enjoy.