( approx 2 1/2 lb)
garlic clove, thinly sliced
fresh mozzarella cheese
fresh basil, leaves picked
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Slice a thin piece from the rounded bottom of each tomato, so they sit upright.
- Slice each tomato in half horizontally. Arrange the tomato halves, cut side up on a shallow roasting pan or rimmed baking sheet lined with foil.
- Drizzle with the oil, then sprinkle on the salt and pepper.
- Scatter the garlic over the tomatoes.
- Roast until they're softened and warmed through, approx 15 minutes.
- Mine took longer -- approx 25 minutes. Mean while, cut the mozzarella into 6- 1/2 inch rounds.
- Using a spatula, sandwich each cheese slice between 2 hot tomato halves.
- The heat of tomatoes will melt the cheese slightly.
- Drizzle with the juices collected in the roasting pan and garnish with basil.