2 -3 cups
- Cut up bacon in bite size pieces and fry with chopped onion (I like my bacon crisp, but it's up to you).
- Meanwhile, put on large pot of water to boil.
- Peel potatoes, cut and grind up in a blender (If the mixture is too dry to blend, add the egg).
- In a large bowl, gradually mix flour with potato mush until loose batter is formed.
- Put a large scoop of the batter on a flat surface (I use the bottom of a springform pan).
- Holding the flat surface in one hand, use a fork with the other, pushing finger-size dumplings in the boiling water (They will rise as they cook).
- Gently stir, so they don't stick.
- After the dumplings are all cooked, drain them in a large colander and put them in a large serving bowl.
- Drain sauerkraut in colander, under cold water, squeezing out excess.
- Add sauerkraut, cooked bacon and onion to dumplings.
- Mix gently.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- (An alternate version is with the dumplings mixed with drained cottage cheese and melted butter. Very yummy too!).