( and liquid)
onion, finely chopped
tomato, coarsely chopped
mild chili powder
dried oregano, crushed
your favorite hot sauce
uncooked white rice
1 tablespoon oil (optional) or 1 tablespoon
- Start the water boiling in a fairly large pot; add the fat (if desired).
- When it boils, add the rice.
- Stir for the first minute, then cover and turn the heat as low as possible.
- Rice should only cook for 20 minutes; you'll get perfect white rice every time by following a 2:1 rice-water ratio and following these directions.
- Heat a saucepan slightly, then add oil and heat that briefly as well (this prevents sticking).
- Saute the onion until aromatic, then add garlic; don't brown.
- Turn the heat down to medium low.
- Dump the whole can of beans in.
- Add the vinegar, spices and chopped tomato, stir, and let simmer, covered.
- When rice is done (20 minutes), remove from heat.
- Serve beans over rice.