STREUSEL FILLING or TOPPING
dark brown sugar, packed
walnuts, finely ground
( no subs!)
1 1/2 cups
2 2/3 cups
1 1/2 cups
( can use blueberries also)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan, and line bottom with parchment paper to prevent bottom of cake from over-browning).
- Mix together all streusel ingredients; set aside.
- With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy, about 4-5 minutes, until no sugar granules remain.
- Mix in eggs and vanilla; beat until blended, about 1-2 minutes, scraping bowl often.
- Stir in the sour cream; beat until well blended, about 1 minute.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add to the creamed mixture, beating until blended.
- Gently fold in the raspberries or blueberries (if using) with a spatula, if you are using fresh berries, careful not to break the berries while mixing in, especially if using fresh raspberries.
- Spoon about two-thirds of the cake batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Sprinkle half of the streusel mixture on top.
- Then dollup the remaining cake batter on top of the streusel mix (does not have to cover completely).
- Then sprinkle the remaining streusel mixture on top.
- Bake for about 1 hour, or until cake tests done.