fresh lemon juice
leftover mashed potatoes
caraway seed, slightly crushed
chopped fresh parsley
sour cream, if desired for topping
4 -6 tablespoons
( for frying)
- In a large bowl combine the mashed potatoes with the lemon juice and stir well.
- In a dry bowl, combine the onion, caraway seeds, fresh parsley, flour, egg and milk.
- Stir in potatoes. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Over medium heat, melt 2 to 3 tablespoons of butter in a wide frying pan.
- When butter starts to foam add about 2 tablespoons of the potato mixture, spreading into a 4 inch pancake. Repeat to make 2 or 3 more cakes, enough to fill the pan but not overcrowd.
- Cook, turn once, until golden brown on both sides about 5 minutes per side. Add more butter as needed to fry pancakes.
- Using a wide spatula, lift pancakes from pan and transfer to warming tray in low oven at 200 degrees. Continue cooking remainder of potato mixture.
- Keep warm until ready to serve. Garnish with fresh parsley and top with sour cream if desired.