1 lb butternut squash (500g) or 1 lb
1/2 lb sweet potatoes (250g) or 1/2 lb
( or use green cabbage, kale, Swiss Chard, silverbeet or collards)
( or less to taste)
salt and pepper
chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 1/2 lbs
dutch sausage, such as Rookworst
( or other spicy sausage such as Spanish Chorizo)
- Prepare the vegetables: Peel and roughly chop the potato, Butternut squash (pumpkin), sweet potato/yam, carrots, parsnips and turnip. Peel and finely chop the onion. Wash any grit from the leek and cabbage, then slice both fairly finely.
- Place the chopped vegetables in a large stock pot, and add water to barely cover. Place over heat, cover, bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, around 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the rookworst as per the instructions on the wrap, or saute the chorizo, or other spicy saudage you choose, in a little oil. Slice, then keep warm.
- Drain the vegetables well, then mash - but not too smoothly - some lumps are good ;-) Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the butter, and mix through (use less than 1/2 cup if you prefer). If desired, stir through the chopped parsley.
- Serve the stamppot topped with the sliced sausage, and if you are really decadent, with an extra knob of butter!