1 1/2 tablespoons
garlic cloves, finely chopped
onion, finely chopped
fresh basil, chopped
2 (400 g) cans
plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
( or, 10 x large plum tomatoes, x's cut into the skin, then plunged into boiling water for 2 minutes,)
freshly ground salt & pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan, on medium heat.
- Saute the onions and garlic until translucent, but do not allow to burn or brown.
- Add the herbs and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato paste (and salt & pepper to taste) and simmer for 60 minutes on low heat (I use 2/6) until reduced to a thick sauce. I taste this every 10 minutes and sometimes add pepper if required.
- Cool, and use on your favourite pizza bases. Can be used on 4 x medium bases (if you like a lot of sauce), or 6 bases if you like a thinner covering. You can also puree this with a Bamix if chunky sauce isn't your thing (plus, it goes further if you puree it).