( or regular sugar run through a blender)
vanilla beans, split lengthwise
egg yolks, room temperature
( or regular white sugar run through a blender)
- In a saucepan over low heat combine water and 2 tablespoons sugar, swirling occasionally until sugar dissolves. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Adjust heat so liquid barely shimmers.
- Add plums to pan and cook for 3-5 minutes (or until tender). Cool completely.
- In a saucepan bring cream, milk and vanilla beans to a simmer. Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes.
- Scrape seeds from vanilla beans into the cream mixture, discarding pods. Return mixture to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Beat egg yolks and 2/3 cup sugar until pale yellow and then beat in hot milk mixture. Return all to saucepan and cook stirring over medium low heat until mixture thickens (6-8 minutes). DO NOT BOIL. Strain mixture into a bowl. Cool completely in a refrigerator (at least 4 hours), stirring occasionally.
- Pit cooled plums but do not peel. Puree plums with liquid in a food processor or blender until smooth. Fold plum mixture into custard.
- Process in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.
- Freeze in a covered container for several hours.