8 lbs peaches or 8 lbs
nectarines, fully ripe firm
1 3/4 cups
- Wash peaches or nectarines, peel peaches and cut fruit into 1/2 inch slices.
- To prevent darkening, place fruit in ascorbic acid solution (this can be found right next to the canning supplies in your local stores, it's in a small green canister); drain well. Measure 24 cups fruit. Set aside.
- In a 8-quart dutch oven or pot heat about 6 cups water to boiling.
- Add 6 cups peach slices; return to boiling. Boil for 1 minute.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer peaches to a large bowl; cover.
- Repeat with remaining fruit, 6 cups at a time.
- Drain water from the pot.
- In same pot combine sugar, Clear Jell, cinnamon and nutmeg and stir in the 4 1/2 cups water.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and begins to boil.
- Add the lemon juice; boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the almond extract.
- Immediately add fruit, stirring gently to coat.
- Heat for three minutes.
- Spoon hot fruit mixture into hot, clean, sterile quart size canning jars, leaving 1-inch headspace.
- Remove air bubbles, wipe jar rims, and adjust lids.
- Process filled jars in a boiling water canner for 30 minutes.
- Remove jars from canner; cool on wire racks.
- Makes 6 quarts (enough for 6 pies).
- To use pie filling: Spoon 1 quart filling into a pastry lined 9-inch pie pan. Dot with 1 tablespoon butter or margarine. Cut slits in top crust; adjust top crust. Seal and flute edges. Cover edge of pie with foil. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 25 minutes; remove foil. Bake 25-30 minutes more or until pastry is golden.