Crumb Base and Topping
( or walnuts, or pecans, or sliced almonds)
packed brown sugar
almond extract, optional-good if using almonds for the nuts
- For crumb mixture, combine flour, nuts, margarine, and brown sugar. Spread evenly on to a cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes; stir occasionally.
- Sprinkle 2/3 of the crumbs into a 13x9 baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl combine egg whites, strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice.
- Beat with an electric mixer on high speed about 10 minutes or until stiff peaks form. In a small mixing bowl, beat the whipping cream until soft peaks form.
- Fold whipping cream into strawberry mixture.
- Spoon evenly over crumbs in baking pan. Sprinkle remaining crumbs on top.
- Cover, label and freeze for least 6 hours or until firm; Serve frozen.