2 1/2 cups
- Cap and rinse berries, place in a large colander.
- Pour boiling water over berries and let drain 1 minute.
- Combine berries and 1 cup sugar in a dutch oven. Bring to a boil; boil 7 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar; boil an additional 7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour strawberry mixture into a shallow 13x9-inch pan; skim off foam with a metal spoon.
- Let stand, uncovered, in a cool place 12 hours; shake pan occasionally so that berries will absorb syrup and remain plump and whole.
- Skim off foam with a metal spoon, pour preserves into sterilized jelly glasses, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
- Cover with a 1/8 inch layer of paraffin. cover with lids.