extra virgin olive oil
red onion, peeled and very coarsely chopped
peeled baby-cut fresh carrots, very coarsely chopped
celery ribs, very coarsely chopped
baking potato, peeled and diced
( about 12 ounces)
garlic clove, minced
1 sprig fresh rosemary (3 inches) or 1/2 teaspoon
dried rosemary, crumbled
14 1/2 ounces
canned chicken broth
canned evaporated milk
( use skim, if you like)
fresh whole milk
hot red pepper sauce
finely shredded mozzarella cheese
sliced pitted ripe olives
salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in large, heavy saucepan over moderate heat 1 minute.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, potato, garlic, bay leaf, and rosemary; cook, stirring often, 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and "sweat" vegetables 10 minutes.
- Add broth, bring to gently boil, cover, and cook until potato is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf and rosemary sprig; add evaporated milk, milk, and red pepper sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Off heat, add mozzarella and stir until smooth.
- Stir in olives and salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into heated soup bowls and serve.