4 1/2 lbs
short rib of beef
white onion, quartered
white onion, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
dried guajillo chilies, stemmed, halved, seeded
dried ancho chiles, stemmed, halved, seeded
dried oregano leaves
distilled white vinegar
- Cut 1 head of garlic crosswise in half.
- Place in large pot with ribs, 3 quarts water and quartered onion.
- Bring to boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered until meat is cooked through, about 50 minutes.
- Strain, reserving 6 cups meat broth.
- Discard onion and garlic.
- Reserve ribs.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Wrap remaining head of garlic tightly in foil and place directly on oven rack.
- Place tomatoes and sliced onion on rimmed baking sheet.
- Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast garlic, tomatoes and onion until tender, for about 1 hour.
- Transfer tomatoes and onion to processor.
- Using fingers, squeeze garlic from papery skin into processor.
- Blend until smooth.
- Set tomato sauce aside place quajillo and ancho chilies in medium bowl.
- Add 4 cups reserved meat broth.
- Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to processor and blend until smooth.
- Strain chili sauce into medium blend until smooth.
- Strain chili sauce into medium bowl, pressing on solids in strainer with rubber spatula to exct as much liquid as possible.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add chili ace; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, cumin, oregano and cloves.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add ribs, vinegar and remaining 2 cups meat broth.
- Bring to simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered until sauce is thick for about 50 minutes.