dried kidney beans
1 1/2 lbs
pork, lean, 1 inch cubes
salt and pepper
sage leaves, finely chopped
parsley, finely chopped
garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- Bring the kidney beans to a boil in a large pot with plenty of salted water.
- Remove from the heat, cover and set aside for 1 hour.
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over high heat, season the pork well with salt and pepper and sear on all sides, working in batches if necessary, and remove the meat when it is browned.
- Add the sage, parsley, and garlic and saute for 5 minutes before returning it to the casserole.
- Drain the beans and add them to the casserole with the stock and the sauerkraut and bring to a simmer.
- Cook the mixture slowly for 45 minutes, or until the pork is very tender and the beans are cooked through.
- Slowly sprinkle the polenta over the stew and stir constantly for 10 minutes, or until the polenta has expanded.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve.