firmly-packed dark brown sugar
1 (10 -15 ounce) cans
well-drained crushed pineapple with juice
( reserve 1/4 cup juice)
8 -9 slices
( or more)
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Set oven rack to middle position.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat; stir in the brown sugar until dissolved.
- Add in the drained crushed pineapple; stir well to incorporate.
- in a bowl, whisk together eggs, whole milk, half and half, reserved 1/4 cup pineapple juice, salt, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Lightly grease baking dish.
- Spread pineapple/brown sugar mixture evenly over bottom of dish.
- Dip the bread slices into milk/egg mixture, and arrange in one layer on top of pineapple mixture (use as much bread is need to cover the pinapple, more than 9 slices may be needed for this).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until bread is golden.