1 1/2 lbs 90% lean ground beef or 1 1/2 lbs
very lean stew meat
onion, finely chopped
28 ounces tomato juice or 28 ounces
beef bouillon cubes
2/3 cup barley (using barley instead of rice helps cut down on carbs) or 2/3 cup
rice, rinsed & uncooked
( using barley instead of rice helps cut down on carbs)
Splenda sugar substitute
2 -3 teaspoons
garlic cloves, minced
( 1-2 tablespoons)
( 2 shakes)
cabbage, coarsely chopped
( 1 medium head)
3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans
- In a pot, warm the oil over medium heat, and saute beef and onions until onions are soft and beef is browned (8 minutes).
- Drain off the fat, and add the tomatoes, bouillon, barley, splenda, paprika, garlic, pepper, and tabasco; mix well.
- Put the cabbage in the crock pot, and top with meat mixture (Do NOT stir); top with beef broth.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 9 hours.
- Stir soup well; continue to cook covered on LOW for another hour.