uncooked chicken pieces
( bone and skin on, or use 1 large chicken carcass along with chicken pieces)
onions, do not peel the skin off, and cut in large pieces
unpeeled carrots, washed
celery ribs, cut in half
garlic, broken into cloves
( can leave the skin on)
( or to taste)
cold water, to cover all ingredients
- Place the chicken pieces and/or carcass (or the turkey carcass) in an extra large stock pot, along with all remaining ingredients.
- Fill with cold water to cover ingredients, and up to almost three quarters of the stock pot.
- Place on stove element; cover and bring to a full boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer and remove any fat or scum that is floating on top of the water.
- At this point you can transfer to a crockpot.
- Simmer covered with a lid on low heat for about 4-5 hours for stove top (or 9-12 hours on LOW setting for a crockpot).
- Adjust salt to suit taste.
- After the 5-6 hours of simmering time turn off heat and allow the pot to sit until room temperature with all ingredients still in the pot, DO NOT REMOVE BONES OR VEGGIES.
- Transfer the pot to the fridge (with all ingredients still in it) and chill overnight.
- THE FOLLOWING DAY: Remove the pot from the fridge (mixture will be a jelly consistency).
- Remove any fat that has gathered on top.
- Heat again until just to a liquid (this will make it easier to strain).
- Remove all chicken pieces and strain in a large strainer, if desired you may strain again in a cheesecloth, but it is not necessary.
- Let cool completely and freeze in containers.