cooking apples, peeled, cored, and cut into eights
FOR THE CRUMBLE
firmly packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons
vanilla ice cream
- Combine 6 or 7 large cooking apples with the sugar, water, cinnamon, ground allspice in a large saucepan; bring to a boil.
- (I also add fresh grated nutmeg and a squeeze of lemon juice.)
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until apples are almost tender.
- Spoon mixture into a deep-dish 9-inch pie-plate.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt; cut in butter with a pastry blender or use finger tips until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- (Next time I will use only 1/8 tsp of salt in the crumble.).
- Crumble brown sugar mixture over apples.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until top is browned.
- Serve with ice cream, if desired.
- Yield: one 9-inch pie.