red potatoes, unpeeled, par boiled in salted water and cubed
boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cubed
fresh ground pepper, to taste
3 1/2 ounces
fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
garlic cloves, pressed
1 anaheim chilies (optional) or 1
jalapeno pepper, chopped
dry white wine
1 1/2 cups
chicken stock, divided
snap peas, strings removed and cut in half
( or frozen regular peas if you wish)
baby spinach leaves, whole
- Preheat oven to 400f degrees.
- Par boil scrubed, quartered, unpeeled potatoes in salted water, approximately 10 minutes, cool and cube into 1/2 inch pieces; set aside.
- Place coriander, cumin, salt and pepper in plastic bag; add chicken cubes and shake to coat; refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a large nonstick frypan, on medium high heat, melt 1/4 cup butter with olive oil, stir to mix.
- Add onions and mushrooms, saute until onions are just beginning to turn brown, about 8 minutes; add garlic, Anaheim pepper(if using) and chicken cubes with spices and any accumulated juices in bag, cook, stirring for 4 minutes.
- Add wine and deglaze pan, cook and stir another 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup chicken stock, cook and stir 1 minute.
- In the meantime, add flour to 1/2 cup chicken stock and whisk until smooth; add to frypan while stirring to mix.
- Bring to simmer, simmer 1 minute, or until thickened, add snap peas and potatoes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Remove from heat and set aside until ready to pour into prepared phyllo crust.
- Phyllo Crust:.
- On a dampened teatowel, lay out 8 phyllo pastry sheets; cover with a second dampened teatowel, keep covered while using so that it will not dry out.
- Brush medium size casserole with melted butter.
- Brush melted butter on one phyllo sheet, cover with a second sheet and brush second sheet with melted butter.
- Place the two sheets in buttered casserole, with the sheet edges/corners hanging over the casserole edge.
- Separate the spinach leaves into 4 piles, removing any long stems.
- Place one pile of spinach leaves in a layer to cover the bottom of the casserole on top of the pastry sheets.
- Repeat this 3 more times, rotating the pastry sheets so that the pastry corners are beside each other around the casserole edge; ending with a layer of spinach.
- Pour chicken mixture into spinach lined crust; smooth top and fold edges of phyllo over filling with the corners meeting in the centre; turn phyllo corner ends up to form an opening for steam release.
- Liberally brush top of pie with melted butter.
- Place on centre rack in 400f degree oven for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 350f degrees and bake a further 35 minutes or until filling is bubbling and pastry is golden and crisp.