3 -4 small
onion, roughly chopped
2 lbs boneless pork legs or 2 lbs
boneless pork shoulder, cubed
water, mixed with the milk
5 ounces lard (i.e.Crisco) or 5 ounces
1 lb flour or 2 cups
( to glaze)
- Put first four ingredients into a saucepan, cover with water.
- Heat to a simmer for 20 minutes, then boil to reduce liquid to about half to three quarters of a cup.
- Strain and cool.
- Mix pork with spices and herbs, salt and pepper.
- Bring milk,water and lard to a boil, gradually beat it into the flour and salt in a bowl.
- Knead 3-4 minutes.
- Roll out two thirds of the pastry, line an 8" spring form pan.
- Add the meat mixture and 4 Tbsp.
- of the meat stock to the pie case.
- Roll out remaining dough to form lid, seal edges well with water.
- Make a hole in center of pie.
- Glaze with beaten egg.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Cover loosely with foil, reduce heat to 350 degrees, and bake a further two and a half hours.
- Cool pie.
- Warm the remaining jellied stock, then pour into the center hole in the pie.
- Note: If you don't have bones for the stock, use 2 tsp.
- of Gelatine to 1/2 pint stock.