2 1/2 lbs
lean stewing beef, cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces
potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
turnips, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
( I sometimes use sweet potatoes instead of turnips)
onions, peeled and quartered
( about 2 inches in diameter)
garlic cloves, minced
fresh ground black pepper
2 1/2 cups
V8 vegetable juice
( spicy V-8 is good, too)
dry red wine
light brown sugar
3 1/2 tablespoons
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the beef with all the vegetables.
- Season with the garlic, celery seeds, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- In a small bowl whisk together the V-8 juice, wine, mustard, brown sugar, and tapioca, making sure the tapioca dissolves.
- Add this mixture to the meat and vegetables and stir to blend.
- Transfer the stew to a dutch oven or large casserole.
- Cover lightly and cook 5 hours without peeking or disturbing.
- Makes 6 servings.