4 cups low sodium vegetable broth or 4 cups
red onion, sliced
garlic clove, crushed
vanilla pod, split
salt and black pepper, to taste
- Break the cauliflower into small florets.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add the stock and bring it to a simmer.
- Add the cauliflower, sliced onion, and garlic.
- Split the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds, adding them to the contents of the saucepan.
- (You can discard the empty pod, if you like, but you can also cut it into pieces and put it into an airtight jar of sugar and let sit for three weeks to make vanilla sugar).
- Simmer the soup for 15 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in the heavy cream, then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the mixture into a blender, in batches if necessary, and whir until smooth or to desired texture.
- Serve immediately with good crusty bread.
- Also good garnished with a shaving of Parmesan or Asiago.