( about 8 to 10 leaves)
extra virgin olive oil
plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
( 2 cups)
garlic cloves, halved lengthwise
1 (15 1/2 ounce) cans
black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth or 1 1/2 cups
salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Using a sharp paring knife, slice off the hard, central vein of each kale leaf.
- Stacking 3 to 4 leaves at a time, cut them crosswise into half-inch strips.
- Rinse in a colander or sieve and shake well, leaving some moisture clinging to leaves.
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Saute onion until translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add kale and mix until wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and garlic.
- Cook, stirring, until tomatoes soften slightly, about 3 minutes.
- Add beans and broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until kale is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve as a side dish or over brown rice for a main course.