egg whites, room temperature
( appx 1 hr)
1 1/2 teaspoons
1 1/2 cups
heavy cream, chilled
- Grease the bottom of a 15x10x1" jelly roll pan; line w/ waxed paper; grease slightly.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a lg electric mixer bowl, at high speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form when beaters are slowly lifted.
- Add 1/4 c sugar, 2 T at a time, beating until stiff peaks form when beaters are slowly lifted.
- With the same beaters, beat yolks at high speed, adding remaining 1/2 c sugar, 2 T at a time; beat until mixture is very thick, appx 4 minutes.
- At low speed, beat in cocoa, vanilla, salt, just until smooth.
- With wire whisk or rubber spatula, gently fold cocoa mixture into egg whites just until blended (no egg whites should show).
- Spread evenly in pan.
- Bake 15 minutes, just until surface springs back when gently pressed with fingertip.
- Sift confectioner's sugar in a 15x10" rectangle on a clean linen towel.
- Turn cake out on sugar; lift off pan; peel paper off cake.
- Roll up cake jelly-roll-fashion, starting with the short end towel and all.
- Cool completely on rack, seam side down.
- FILLING: Combine ingredients in medium bowl.
- Beat with electric mixer until thick; chill.
- TO ASSEMBLE: Unroll cake; spread with filling to 1" from edge; reroll.
- Place, seam side down, on plate.
- Cover loosely with foil.
- Chill at least 1 hour before serving.
- TO SERVE: Sprinkle yule log w/ confectioner's sugar and decorate with red candied cherries and green angelica "leaves". If you can't find angelica, use cut up green candied cherries.
- NOTE:You may make the Yule Log up to a week ahead and freeze, wrapped in foil. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour before serving.