dates, pitted, roughly chopped
bicarbonate of soda
milk chocolate, chopped
eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 cups
walnuts, roughly chopped
- Place dates and water in a saucepan over low heat; cook for 5-10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat;add the soda, stir and allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Grease and line a loaf pan 10cm x21cm, 7 cm deep.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over simmering water, stir with a metal spoon for 5 minutes, or until chocolate is melted; remove from heat and cool.
- Using a mixer, cream butter, sugar and maple syrup until pale and creamy; add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each egg is added.
- Stir in melted chocolate.
- Sift flour over this chocolate mixture, then using a metal spoon, fold in until combined.
- Fold in the dates and walnuts, then spoon into prepared pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until cooked when a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to stand in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out to a wire rack to cool.
- Serve sliced (and buttered if you wish).