lamb shanks, fat trimmed
salt and pepper
yellow onions, diced
celery ribs, diced
full-bodied red wine
garlic cloves, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Season the lamb shanks with salt and pepper. In a large, deep pan (I like to use my Le Creuset dutch oven) over a medium-high flame, warm the olive oil and then brown the shanks on all sides, about 5 minutes in all.
- Transfer the shanks to a dish.
- Add the onions, carrots, and celery to the pan and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add the wine to the pan, and bring to a simmer, stirring up any bits off the bottom.
- Add the stock, rosemary, garlic, bay leaf and shanks to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Place the lid on the pan, and put it in the preheated oven. Cook about 2 hours. Serve with mashed potatoes or rice and a nice salad.