1 (18 ounce) packages
lemon cake mix
( 2-layer size)
1 (3 1/2 ounce) packages
jell-o instant lemon pudding
( 4-serving size)
1 1/3 cups
sour cream, divided
1 (8 ounce) containers
thawed Cool Whip Topping
2 (11 ounce) cans
mandarin orange segments, drained
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Line 2 9-inch round cake pans with parchment paper (or lightly grease and flour); set them aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, dry pudding mis, 1 cup of the sour cream, eggs, oil, 3/4 cup water, and orange peel. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute and then scrape the bowl. Beat for 2 more minutes on medium speed. Pour evenly into the prepared pans (use a scale to divide evenly).
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Beat the remaining 1/3 cup of sour cream and the powdered sugar in a large bowl with a wire whisk until they are well blended. Carefully stir in the Cool Whip. Set aside.
- Place 1 of the cake layers on a serving plate. Spread half of the Cool Whip mixture on the cake. Top with one can of the mandarin orange segments. Put the second cake layer on top and repeat the Cool Whip and mandarin layers. Refrigerate until ready to serve.